29 Apr Clinical Benefits of EECP
About 85% of patients included in EECP clinical trials experienced a significant reduction in the episodes of angina and improved exercise tolerance with a decrease in their symptoms and the use of nitrate.
EECP feels like a deep muscle massage for the legs. During treatment, you do not feel anything in the chest or heart. Rather, it feels as if balloons are wrapped around your legs, squeezing in time for your own heartbeat. Most of our patients relax, listen to music or watch TV during their treatments. Some even sleep!
EECP has no side effects, though some patients may experience muscle pain and fatigue in the first two weeks of treatment, similar to beginning an exercise program. Special pants and fillers are used to minimize the chance of skin irritation caused by friction against the sleeves.
Most patients begin to feel better after 10 treatments. EECP therapy increases blood supply to the heart as well as all the other organs, tissues, and cells of the body.
EECP therapy reduces symptoms of chest discomfort and/or difficulty breathing; and the amount of drugs taken by the patient. EECP therapy improves exercise capacity and quality of life.
For many patients, the benefits of EECP therapy may last several years. Other patients may require repeat therapy, as recommended by the cardiologist.
In our experience, over 90% of our patients respond favorably and enjoy the clinical benefits of EECP.
- Increased time to exercise-induced chest discomfort or other symptoms
- Sustained decline in chest discomfort and the use of nitrates
- Improvement in myocardial perfusion (circulation to the heart)
- Improvement in oxygen consumption
- Increase in development and recruitment of collateral vessels in the heart
- Improvement in coronary artery dilatation
- Increased exercise tolerance and exercise ability
- Long-term improvement in heart function
- Peripheral (lower limb) effects similar to exercise training
- Improved quality of life
- Effective for patients with recurrent angina and heart failure
EECP encourages blood vessels to open small channels that become extra branches. These channels or collaterals eventually become “natural bypass” vessels to provide blood flow to the heart muscle. This contributes to the relief of symptoms, improved perfusion of the heart, and increased strength of the heart muscle. EECP is safe, effective, and well tolerated.
Contact the HeartAid Center to book an appointment, call 0114 504 662